The mission of Trains in the Valley is to advocate for and promote improved and expanded use of passenger and freight rail services in the Pioneer Valley region of western Massachusetts.
Our website TrainsInTheValley.org will be used to increase transparency with regard to all matters related to passenger and freight rail services in the region.
We seek to encourage cooperation and coordinated action among all parties, including elected officials, governmental agencies, railroads, railroad unions, regional planning groups, other transportation operators, current and future rail users, and the public.
Our goals are:
1. To ensure that existing passenger and freight rail services in the region continue
2. To promote and expand the use of the existing intercity passenger service (Amtrak’s “Vermonter”) for travel to/from Holyoke, Northampton, and Greenfield
3. To advocate for the establishment of new regional passenger service between New Haven / Hartford / Springfield and the Pioneer Valley
4. To advocate for improved and expanded integration of local and regional transportation options that connect with the region’s passenger rail network
5. To increase the number of freight rail customers connected to the region’s rail network and to increase the volume and type of material transported by rail in region
Page last updated: May 27, 2016
Page last reviewed: August 29, 2016