The content on this page represents the views of the Western Mass Rail Coalition. The page is hosted on the Trains In The Valley site for the convenience of the coalition.
The Western Mass Rail Coalition is a group of rail advocacy groups working together to expand the use of passenger rail in Western Massachusetts.
Early efforts of the Coalition are focused on community-led advocacy on the topic of MassDOT’s East-West Passenger Rail Study.
The Western Mass Rail Coalition is a member of Transportation for Massachusetts (T4MA).
Mission and Coalition Goals
To advocate for the development, implementation, operation, sustainability and expansion of publicly-supported passenger rail services that benefit the residents of western Massachusetts.
- To bring together representatives of passenger rail advocacy organizations from areas across western Massachusetts in order to further regional advocacy efforts.
- To advocate for regional passenger rail transportation initiatives that involve Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, and/or Hampshire counties in western Massachusetts.
- To support environmental justice and climate change solutions by advocating for passenger rail planning and development.
- To redress inequality of opportunity for people living in economically depressed urban and rural areas with inadequate transit options by connecting them to employment and training, educational opportunities, medical appointments, etc.
- To broadly encourage connectivity between passenger rail and multimodal regional and local transportation services.
- To collaborate with regional and statewide political and business leaders, and other statewide or national transportation advocacy organizations.
- To promote transit-oriented development (TOD), regional economic development, and tourism, as it relates to passenger rail services in western Massachusetts.
Guiding principles of the Western Mass Rail Coalition
As adopted on June 5, 2020
Spring of 2019 | The idea to form a coalition came together soon after the publication of the joint Op-ed “Keep East-West Rail on Track” — which was published in The Daily Hampshire Gazette, The Berkshire Eagle, The Berkshire Edge, and The Republican.
June 2019 | All of the key members of the coalition met, for the first time together, to discuss strategy and other topics of mutual interest.
Attendees of the meeting, shown below, were in Springfield to attend the MassDOT-hosted East-West Passenger Rail Advisory Committee #2.
August 2019 | Members of the coalition released the Op-ed “East-West Passenger Rail is on the Right Track” — which was published by The Berkshire Eagle, The Daily Hampshire Gazette, The Recorder, The Westfield News, and The Worcester Telegram.
September 2019 | The Western Mass Rail Coalition became a member of Transportation for Massachusetts (T4MA).
February 2020 | The Western Mass Rail Coalition releases and distributes (to members of the East-West Rail Study Advisory Committee) this position paper — The Key Elements of an East-West Rail Service.
June 2020 | Members of the coalition finalize a four page document entitled — Guiding principles of the Western Mass Rail Coalition.
July 2020 | The Western Mass Rail Coalition sent a letter to members of the Massachusetts Senate regarding the Senate Bill 2836 — RE: Senate Passage of the Transportation Investment Bill / S.2836.
You may contact the Coalition by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
WMRC logo file
JPG WMRC logo – 2304 x 1728 pixels
Page last updated: November 21, 2020
Page last reviewed: November 20, 2020