Here’s an activity for rail advocates looking for something new to do while it continues to snow outside.
As part of the process to update its five-year Capital Investment Plan, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is seeking input from the public until the end of this week.
If you have comments or suggestions on current or future state transportation projects, programs, priorities, and/or concerns, now is the time to submit your ideas and thoughts to MassDOT as part of this process.
In particular, we would encourage you to submit your comments in support of the following rail priorities for our region:
1. Additional passenger rail service north of Springfield
– ideally, the extension of a few Hartford Line trains past Springfield to Greenfield
2. Expanded passenger rail service between Springfield and Boston
– e.g., an extension of the planned Hartford Line service from Springfield to Boston
3. A second high-level platform at Springfield Union Station
– only one high-level platform is currently funded
4. and any other ideas and suggestions that you wish MassDOT to consider, including those related to state highways, the MBTA and the Regional Transit Agencies (i.e. PVTA and the FRTA.)
Your ideas and comments may be submitted one of two ways:
1. using MassDOT’s online comment tool, or
2. by sending an email to email@example.com
Your comments do not have to be long or perfect to be heard by MassDOT and to have an impact.
Note that MassDOT will be accepting comments until Friday, March 17th at 5 pm.
The Draft 2018-2022 Capital Investment Plan will be released in late March or early April.
Once the draft has been released, MassDOT will schedule a series of public meetings to seek public input on the draft plan.
Capital Investment Plan | Official web page (MassDOT)
2018-2022 CIP update: Joint Board Presentation (PDF)
January 23, 2017