The project is substantially complete
This page provides an overview of a project that is now underway to extended the station platform in Northampton, Massachusetts.
The extension of the platform will allow for simultaneous level access boarding/disembarking of three passenger cars (one door each of the lead and rear cars / both doors of the middle car).
When the project is complete, the station lot will consist of approximately 105 parking spaces — with 5 spaces dedicated for accessible parking.
In summary, the project includes the following components:
- the high-level platform will be extended from its current length of 46 feet to a length of 146 feet
- the canopies will be extended to cover the entire length of the expanded platform
- new ramps and stairs will be constructed to access the platform extensions
- Existing ramps, stairs, handrails and guard fence will be modified where required to coordinate with the new construction
- A new bike rack will also be installed in the concourse area
- the adjacent parking lot and access road will be modified to include redesigned curb islands, reset curb, new pavement sections, new pavement striping including: five ADA compliant parking spaces, crosswalks, ADA compliant wheelchair ramps, and cement concrete concourse and sidewalks
- Closed-circuit video cameras will be added along with station wayfinding signage
June 2017 | MassDOT announces that they intend to extend the station platform in Northampton to a length of 146 feet.
July 11, 2018 | The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (for MassDOT) formally advertised MBTA Contract No. T92CN02 – the Knowledge Corridor Northampton and Greenfield Station Platform Extension Project.
August 9, 2018 | Bids were opened and the apparent low bidder is Newport Construction Corp. of Nashua, New Hampshire with a bid of $2,561,000. If all goes well, the contract will be awarded without delay and work will start in September.
October 26, 2018 | Notice to Proceed issued.
February 14, 2018 | Work at the site starts.
April 28, 2019 | Work on repaving the parking lots starts.
May 2019 | Timber construction work now underway.
July 2019 | Most work on the project would appear to be complete except for the second coat of asphalt on access road and parking lots and the new signage.
August 27, 2019 | The full length the new platform was opened to the public.
Greenfield station platform extension | Trains In The Valley
“Train station expansion nearly finished in Northampton, parking management changes in works”
By Bera Dunau | Daily Hampshire Gazette | June 12, 2019
Page last updated: August 28, 2019
Page last reviewed July 17, 2018