This page provides an overview of a project that is now underway to extended the station platform in Northampton, Massachusetts.
The extension of the platform will allow for simultaneous level access boarding/disembarking of three passenger cars (one door each of the lead and rear cars / both doors of the middle car).
When the project is complete, the station lot will consist of approximately 105 parking spaces — with 5 spaces dedicated for accessible parking.
In summary, the project includes the following components:
- the high-level platform will be extended from its current length of 46 feet to a length of 146 feet
- the canopies will be extended to cover the entire length of the expanded platform
- new ramps and stairs will be constructed to access the platform extensions
- Existing ramps, stairs, handrails and guard fence will be modified where required to coordinate with the new construction
- A new bike rack will also be installed in the concourse area
- the adjacent parking lot and access road will be modified to include redesigned curb islands, reset curb, new pavement sections, new pavement striping including: five ADA compliant parking spaces, crosswalks, ADA compliant wheelchair ramps, and cement concrete concourse and sidewalks
- Closed-circuit video cameras will be added along with station wayfinding signage
June 2017 | MassDOT announces that they intend to extend the station platform in Northampton to a length of 146 feet.
July 11, 2018 | The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (for MassDOT) formally advertised MBTA Contract No. T92CN02 – the Knowledge Corridor Northampton and Greenfield Station Platform Extension Project.
August 9, 2018 | Bids were opened and the apparent low bidder is Newport Construction Corp. of Nashua, New Hampshire with a bid of $2,561,000. If all goes well, the contract will be awarded without delay and work will start in September.
October 26, 2018 | Notice to Proceed issued.
February 14, 2018 | Work at the site starts.
April 28, 2019 | Work on repaving the parking lots starts.
May 2019 | Timber construction work now underway.
July 2019 | Most work on the project would appear to be complete except for the second coat of asphalt on access road and parking lots and the new signage.
Greenfield station platform extension | Trains In The Valley
“Train station expansion nearly finished in Northampton, parking management changes in works”
By Bera Dunau | Daily Hampshire Gazette | June 12, 2019
Page last updated: July 25, 2019
Page last reviewed July 17, 2018